martes, 24 de noviembre de 2015

THE WORLD OF TEACHING 2!

“In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn.” 
― Phil Collins


6. When things go wrong in class
An external disturbance (Katherine)
Once, I was coming at the school on time when the bell rang: supposed that my student’s parents were going to go outside of the classroom, but it didn’t happen; all of them were talking to my tutor Mr. Martinez about a trip to the zoo, and they were also talked about.         Children’s graduation; however, the classroom was crowd of people, and I couldn’t star my class on time. After that Mr. Martinez talked to me and told me teacher can you wait some minutes before starting your class, and I said “ok! No matter” The conversation between the teacher and parents took around 20 minutes, and then I started my class; I wanted to teach children the traffic light colors, but before that we made a review about numbers, and we took around 7 minutes I started my class about colors and asked the students what they knew about the topic; they were really intelligent and answered my questions, but in Spanish. Then, I explain to the student the meaning of the traffic light colors; the problem was that the tutor took part of my time talking to the parents, and after I explained to my students about the traffic light; we repeated  the name for the colors a lot of time; then, I gave them a page to colors; there weren’t enough color for everybody in the classroom, so they had to wail some minutes to use the colors they wanted , and the colors activity took too much time and the break time was coming what I did I let my students to finish the colors activity at home, and the we make a short review of the class because I wanted they acquired that knowledge about the traffic light colors. 
           I think that any of the tips given in chapter 8 could have worked for me because that was not what happened to my class.


An activity took too long (Jackeline)
           I remember when I taught my students about farm animals. The animals I taught were twelve, bull, cow, hen, rooster, rabbit, turkey, pig, duck, donkey, sheep, horse, and goat. My students were happy because they do love animals, and they started to ask about the name of each of them. I made my students repeat a lot the name of each of them, but some of them were pretty difficult that required more and more repetition. I made a mistake when teaching farm animal since the image that I showed of the hen and the rooster were too similar. My students got confused, for they did not know which the hen was and which the rooster was. To me, it was pretty clear, but one thing that the teacher of Didactics of the English Language always says is that as a teacher, I cannot take anything for granted.
           I prepared an activity called “MATCHING ANIMALS” where the students had to match the name of the twelve animals with their names. But, What I am trying to say is that the activity took too long because they could not write the corresponding name to each animal. I decided to help them match the name of the rooster with its image and the name of the hen with its image. The activity took an hour class to be developed, but finally they started to make it well. They had a lot of fun and learned as well.
The class went out of control (Hugo)
           With my students to do an activity was easy because they love to play but once I tried to develop a famous activity called the “hot potato” that activity is very common in the university and in high school but for them it was the first time that they do that activity; they were anxious.
             Firstly, I give them the instructions and they were so happy, that make me feel good because I like to see them happy. After that, we begin the activity and everything was ok, we were listening to a song while we were developing the activity but some minutes later the class went out of control. They began to run and sing and to hit each other; I did not really know what to do. So I spoke aloud and told them “please sit down” and I continued with the class. After that, I did other activity in which they had to color some drawings; I decided this activity to control the class in a better way. I knew that we were going to play the hot potato later but that day they needed other kind of activity.
Did you follow any of the tips presented on chapter 8? Do you think the tips could have worked for you?
           I think a tip worked for me. The tip is to have other activity in the case that the first one does not work. That is very important to change the activity we need to have a plan B all the time or also called emergency activity.
           These emergency activities are very useful in moments when the things are out of control. We also can tell a story to the kids, I think these tips are useful and I can use them in a class.
An activity took too long (Jonathan)
          As far I remember, it happened to me when I was teaching colors. I performed an activity which took too long because students enjoyed performing the activity that I asked them to do. When I realize, I had spent around 20 minutes doing that activity, so I did not have more time for doing the following activities that I had to do. As a result, that class was uncompleted and I had to finish the class; however, I refreshed this topic the next class.
You had extra time (Jonathan)
          When I was teaching the numbers, I faced this problem because students already knew the numbers in English from one to ten somehow. I did not know that, so the part of teaching the numbers was too fast. As a result, I had extra time, around 15 minutes. Fortunately, I had some sheets of paper with drawings, so I asked them to paint the number using at the same time some specific colors. In that way, I was able to spend more time.
An activity did not work (Jonathan)
          It occurred in my second class. I was teaching the alphabet, and I was printed all the letters from A to Z. I knew that they were too many for teaching in one class, so I divided the alphabet in two parts. I started to teach around twelve letters that class; when I asked them to recognize the name of every single letter; they were not able to do it. Next class, I decided to teach fewer letters using a good tool, a song.  Afterwards, students were able to recognize letters easier.
        Another activity did not work when I wanted to play a song about farm animals. It happened because the CD player could not recognize my USB, so I started to sing the song without music. In the next class, I could perform the activity with music because I had changed my USB for another one.
An activity was too difficult (Jonathan)
          Another problem that I faced occurred when I was teaching the parts of the body. I asked my students to touch the parts of their bodies which I have taught previously. The problem happened because they did not know accurately the meaning of the words I was mentioning. They rarely knew the parts of their bodies that they had to touch, but I had an idea; I had to perform the activity with them at the same time in order to refresh the meaning of the words.
Did you follow any of the tips presented on chapter 8? Do you think the tip(s) could have worked for you? Explain   (Jonathan)
          I followed some of the tips presented on chapter 8, but in a different ways; for example, when one activity which I perform took long, I decided to stop. However, the next class I refreshed some points of the topic I had taught the last class. Also, when the CD player did not recognize my USB, I started to sing the song about farm animals without music.  So, I put into practice some of the tips.
        In some other possible cases, indubitably, tips could have worked for me. Fortunately, I did not have so many problems during my teaching practice. I consider that the amount of students I had was something that contributed.  Also, my students were kind of quiet because they obeyed me when I asked some attention; the tutor advised students as well, so this decreased the possibilities of some behavior problems.


7. The tools of the trade
From this chapter, choose the tools that you used in your class, and describe the activities that you used them for.
        In English classes, I did not use many tools for teaching because I took into consideration the English level of my students. So, some tools could not work in my case as teacher because I taught an introductory course in the kindergarten. However, I chose some tools which were suitable for me at teaching. Here are some tools which I used in classes.
Picture cards: I used them when I wanted to show them to my students; for example, when I was teaching the days of the week I showed some picture cards that contained pictures of activities that people do in certain days of the week.
Books: My tutor had some books which had tales. So, I took advantage of them when I wanted to change the mood of my students. Some tales I read were Pinocchio and the Beauty and the Beast.
Toys: I had some toys about animals and fruits, so I decided to use them in order to vary my tools at teaching. Furthermore, my students could touch the toys and they were able to have a better understanding of the topic.
Cassette recorder: In my case, I used a CD player. I used it when I decided to teach my students a song about farm animals. It was so helpful because students really liked that song.
Classify all the tools in this chapter into useful and useless in our environment. Provide the reason why you made such distinction.
         Classifying all the tools into useful and useless is not easy because it may vary from classroom to classroom and from teacher to teacher. In addition, we must take into consideration students´ capabilities and weakness. In my case, I taught an introductory English course; therefore, I did not have the opportunity for using many tools because of students´ English level. However I will provide some useful tools and useless tools according to kindergarten environment.
Useful tools
Useless tools
Picture cards
Class mascot
Books
English corner
Toys
Puppets
Cassette recorder
Cardboard boxes
Wall charts
Word display
Calendar
Transparencies
Board games
Readers
        I made such distinction because in our environment as teacher of kindergarten pupils is kind of weird to use or to perform activities with tools like puppets, cardboard boxes, word display, readers and other. These tools are pretty difficult to perform since we are teaching to students, at the same time, most of kindergarten students cannot read at their ages. On the other hand, picture cards, tale books, toys, cassette recorder, wall charts, and others are more common and easy to perform. Furthermore, six-year old children are familiar to those tools in the classroom. However, this point of view may vary from teacher to teacher depending on the capabilities and the environment in which we are.


Make three collages of the nine TVYL presentations. Reflect upon the top three chapters you would incorporate in your own practicum and you would leave the others aside.


 

8. Write an assessment about how useful the TVYL practice is in your way to become an ELT teacher.
           TVYL has been very useful since we became more confident when speaking in front of people. There are many ways in which the TVYL practice has helped us, and we are going to mention some of them. First, it has helped us to be well-organized not only with the time but also with the money that we needed to buy all materials needed for each class. Secondly, it is useful because it helped us to improve our writing, speaking, reading, and listening. However, it helps us be more awareness about our own mistakes, so we can easily correct ourselves when making mistakes.
 
In the other hand, when teaching children at a very young age, we can easily get tired, but if we love what we do, there will not be any problem. Many teachers in El Salvador only complain of the many things they have to do when teaching. Neither do they do anything about it, nor do they stop complaining.
           What many of the teachers do not know is that there are many satisfactions when doing work well even if the work turns heavy some days of the year. We do not know many inspiring teachers, but we know some who do their work as well as possible; nevertheless, there are many teachers that do not enjoy of teaching but only earning big amounts of money.
9. Self-assessment and evaluation of your own learning in this course/ recommendations to better this teacher training course
Katherinne’s
           In my personal opinion, I have learnt too many things about the teaching process in this course. I’m completely sure that I have developed my reading skills because I had read many handouts in this course I some of them were really interesting. Through this course, I have discovered how to teach other, and I have learnt how and when the teaching process takes place; Didactic s of the English language is a road to follow and learn more every single day about teaching. I believe that though this course; I will learn the essential things that a kindergarten teacher should now. At the very beginning, I was pretty nervous because I had to start my firs teaching practice, but Ms. Mata helped to understand the basic tools to start a teaching process; she was a nice guide.
            This course helped me to make conscious about how important is the education; I as a teacher have to take into account some important things during the teaching process; for example, the type of students that  I have; what the best way to teach then is etc. I have learnt that kind of things that I myself consider very important, so I believe that this course really helped me in order to be a better teacher or a teacher. At some point, I consider this course like a training to be successful into the teaching process; that´s why I consider this course pretty important in my own those class, but I try to apply what I have learnt until now. For me teaching practice was an amazing experience because I haven’t dealt with little kids before. But, they are really able to learn many things easily.
           May be my students didn’t get all the topics, but I’m sure they got things that can help them a lot in or out the classroom.
Didactics of the English language was a great course through of which I learned new things related with the teaching process. Now I have the bases to continue developing my skills as a new teacher. I guess something important was the way that my teachers laugh me because she was able to answer any type of questions.
            Recommendations: I myself believe that this course was really helpful I have just one recommendation: student in this course should participate more in classes because it going to help them to get better knowledge and if they ask questions or doubts through the time; they are going to lose fear to face that kind of situations.
Jackeline’s
           When I first entered the course, I was afraid of teaching because I am not so good at speaking in front of people. Someone told me that teaching children was too easy, that you do not need to be well-prepared for the class, and that you can invent!
            First of all, I teach children in church, so I know that teaching is not an easy job at all. Trying to control everyone at the same time is one the hardest thing when teaching, but you learn how to face those problems by dealing with them.  Secondly, I know many kindergarten teachers that know a lot about children and who say that children are very sensitive about all and I have to be awareness since they notice everything, so it is not that you can invent.
           There is something very important when teaching, and it is the satisfaction of teaching some else something you know.  Seeing the children’ faces make you believe that there are many things you can do to make the society better.
Some of the recommendations are:
·         That the lesson plan should  be taught at the very beginning, so
·        That the TVYL practice starts earlier and every student is able to finish on time and without any excuse.
Hugo’s
           In this teacher learning course I have learned a lot of things and I have tried to do my best. For every single topic, I have studied hard, and also I tried to understand the topic very well because when you are teaching, you need to know a lot of things about the topic.
           I had always wanted to teach and with this course I had that opportunity. I have to confess something, at the beginning of the course the idea of teaching does not like, I was scared about that but now I am very happy with the result. This teacher learning course has helped me a lot and I believe I have done a good job.
            The sensation of teaching to my students has been amazing and I think I will never forget that. This was my first experience as a teacher and I could learn a lot of things about my students, they are very intelligent and also I can teach them a lot of things too.
           I tried to teach to my students with a lot of materials for a better comprehension. Besides that, I earn to be responsible, my class began at 1:30 and I was there at the time.
Some recommendations for better this course are:
-      Give the chance of teaching more than 2 hours per week.
-      Give more percentage to this activity.
           This teacher learning course is very useful for all the students because with it the student can have the first contact with the “teaching world”. This practice it is an excellent tool to learn how to be a teacher, to deal with your students, to think as a teacher.
          Finally, I can tell that being a teacher is more than to stand in front of the students. It is a great responsibility and we can learn it with this course.
Jonathan’s
          During the semester, I have learned many things that I did not know before. Since the very beginning, the subject seemed very helpful and it has been helpful for my classmates and me.  For example, I have learned how to develop classes, how to encourage students at the classroom, how to arrange desks in order to facilitate attention from students, how to prepare activities in a meaningful way, etc. Of course, that according to kindergarten students, but it may work with students in general as well.
        During Didactics of the English Language classes, I have learned about different methodologies, techniques which can be applied in classes. Another important thing I have mastered is the way how I teach classes, and I have developed my own style at teaching. It has really helped in order to be a nice teacher in my future. During practices, which I have had in classes, as presentations, classes, dramas, etc; I have put into practice as much knowledge as I could. This has helped me at teaching as well.
        At teaching in kindergarten, I have had many amazing experiences with students and with the art of teaching English. It has been really amazing because it was my first time at teaching. I do believe that it is a new world or lifestyle since not everybody teaches well, hence, one of the biggest problem in our country´s education. In my opinion, every single teacher must have at least minimal knowledge about teaching, not only knowledge; that is why didactics is an important subject in order to learn how to teach as accurate as possible.
          According to recommendations about this course, I would like to mention some things that may improve the course. One of these important things is that, I would like to emphasis is about the classroom in which we received the classes because not everybody is able to pay attention. This occurred since the space we had in the classroom. Another important point is that, some of my classmates used to talk about other things which were not related with the topic we were learning, and this affected the environment for the rest of the class; On the other hand, I do appreciate the way that teacher Darlene teaches, and her well-known rapport that she has with students.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario